Friday, April 11, 2008

More Links for Proseminar A readings

Here are a few more links to readings from the Proseminar A course taught last fall. As useful as it will be to read these, Tom Boellstorff did caution me that he would not be teaching the course this upcoming year (if I remember correctly, Kaushik is the only holdover from last year), so the syllabus will probably be different. At any rate, here they are:

Herbert Spencer: "Progress: Its law and cause"

Edward Burnett Tylor: Researches Into the Early History of Mankind and the Development of Civilization

Edward Burnett Tylor: Primitive Culture, vol. I: The Origins of Culture (as yet, link not found)

Sir James George Frazer: "Sympathetic Magic" and "Magic and Religion" in The Golden Bough

Emile Durkheim and Marcel Mauss: Primitive Classification

Emile Durkheim: Sociology in France in the Nineteenth Century,” in Emile Durkheim on Morality and Society

Emile Durkheim: The Division of Labor in Society Book I: “Introduction” (pp.1-8); Chapter I (pp. 11–30); Chapter VI (pp. 126–148); Book III, Chapter I (pp. 291–309); Conclusion (pp. 329–341)

Marcel Mauss: The Gift

James Clifford, “On ethnographic surrealism,” Comparative Studies in Society and History 23(4), 1981, pp. 539–564 (you can find it on JSTOR if you have access)

That gets us through to Week 4. Since most of these links are to Google Books, there will probably be some pages missing from the free previews. Anyone want to take responsibility for summarizing any of these? I'll volunteer to do Durkheim's Division of Labor since it's sitting at the foot of my bed as I type this. Happy reading! It's a wild night here in Montgomery; tornadoes passing through and I just finished the Alan Moore/David Gibbons graphic novel Watchmen (which is awesome, by the way).

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Aw, I would have loved to do Durkheim? I'll do my best with the Golden Bough, after checking it out from the library. I'll see what else I can get done before then.

TSF said...

If you want to do Durkheim, be my guest! He's a little too conservative for my tastes anyway, and I'm sick of rehashing his work in my Sociology course twice a week. I could do the Burnett Tylor instead.

mark said...

Thanks for gathering all these readings, Stephen. I'm happy to take Herbert Spencer to start with. (15 whole pages! Who knows if I'll have the time...)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Nah, I think you'd do a better job with Durkheim. I can't seem to find his book in my library anyway. I'll take Burnett Tylor.